Designing the new interior for the GLK was an exacting task. The compact SUV's width was to be emphasized so as to further heighten the feeling of space inside the vehicle. At the same time, the developers were also intent on enhancing the impression of quality. Their efforts have spawned impressive results: The GLK's interior offers the comfort, the ergonomics and the quintessential MB feel-good factor which is generally the reserve of higher classes of vehicle.
The designers at the Centre of Competence for Interiors have undertaken a thorough makeover of the dashboard, for example: a wide trim in aluminium or optionally in wood spans the entire width of the dashboard. The new round vents and additional trim elements in silver shadow also catch the eye. A high-end colour display is optionally available for the instrument cluster. A three-spoke sports steering wheel, new upholstery colours and seat designs plus indirect ambient lighting featuring LED fibre-optic technology, which is available on the GLK for the first time, further enhance the feel-good atmosphere inside the car. The models with the 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission are fitted with the DIRECT SELECT lever in ergonomically convenient position on the steering column tube. This frees up space in the centre console for a stowage compartment, which is provided with a precision-finished frame in silver shadow and can be closed by means of a retractable cover.
Interior Sports package substantially upgraded
The Interior Sports package which was available for the predecessor model has been upgraded to include black sports seats in ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre with stitching in alpaca grey (alternatively real black leather upholstery). Other components are the 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel in nappa leather, door centre panels in ARTICO man-made leather with diagonal stitching, shift lever in nappa leather with chrome surround and sports pedals in brushed stainless steel.
Infotainment: better entertainment, better information
The GLK is fitted with the Audi 20 CD radio as standard, with the following functions:
- Twin tuner
- TFT display with 14.7 cm (5.8") diagonal
- mp3/wma/aac-compatible CD drive
- USB interface incl. CD cover display
- AUX-IN socket in the centre armrest
- Bluetooth® interface with hands-free function and audio streaming for music transfer
- Telephone keypad
The GLK goes online with special infotainment offerings, offers its occupants concert-hall acoustics and provides new entertainment facilities for rear passengers:
- COMAND Online multimedia system: fast hard-disc navigation with high-resolution 17.8 cm colour display, free use of the integrated Mercedes-Benz apps and call-up of internet sites, LINGUATRONIC voice-operated control system, USB interface and AUX-IN socket in the centre armrest, telephone module with Bluetooth® (SAP‑profile) in the armrest for telephony and internet connectivity, Mercedes-Benz eCall emergency call system.
- In conjunction with COMAND, a TV tuner for digital TV reception (DVB-T) is being offered in the GLK for the first time
- Harman Kardon® Logic 7®surround sound system including 7-channel DSP amplifier and 2-channel booster with a total output of 510 W in conjunction with twelve high-performance loudspeakers, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.
- Becker® MAP PILOT: fully integrated navigation module with 2D/3D map display, navigation information shown on the display of the Audio 20 CD, operation via central controller and acoustic output of driving recommendations via the vehicle's loudspeakers
- Central colour display in the instrument cluster offering photorealistic quality
- Apple iPad® rear integration Plus: The convenient, ergonomic and crash-safe docking station for the iPad® is optionally available in the rear of the GLK. The mount can be tilted and turned by 180°, all connections remaining accessible. In addition, the battery can be charged via an integrated USB interface with the aid of a charging lead
Three new apps are available for COMAND Online – for news, share prices and help in finding a parking space. It is planned to introduce around a dozen new apps each year. Daimler has set up an App Development Group specifically for this purpose in Palo Alto, California/USA and Bangalore, India.
Credits: Daimler AG
Copyright © 2012, Mercedes-Benz-Blog. All rights reserved.