The all new Mercedes-Benz GLC (X 253): Model range and equipment
- GLC 220 d 4MATIC, diesel, 125 kW (170 hp)
- GLC 250 d 4MATIC, diesel, 150 kW (204 hp)
- GLC 250 4MATIC, petrol, 155 kW (211 hp)
At the end of the year the lineup will be supplemented with the new GLC 350 e 4MATIC, with which Mercedes-Benz is introducing the first plug-in hybrid into this segment. At the same time it is the first model with permanent all-wheel drive and plug-in hybrid technology in the mid-size SUV class.
- GLC 350 e 4MATIC, plug-in hybrid, system output 235 kW (320 hp)
The GLC 350 e 4MATIC features the latest development stage of 7G-TRONIC PLUS, and combines agile all-wheel drive driving enjoyment with very low fuel consumption and emission figures.
Choice of possibilities: numerous customer options rather than monotony
An unprecedentedly diverse range of equipment enables GLC customers to configure their SUV according to their own requirements and preferences. The standard equipment already includes numerous details adopted from higher vehicle categories. Pioneering assistance systems such as COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, Crosswind Assist, Headlamp Assist, ATTENTION ASSIST or an ESP® system with Dynamic Cornering Assist all feature as standard, for example.
The optional latest-generation Driver Assistance package Plus further reduces the driver's workload while enhancing safety for the passengers, with systems including DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot, PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian detection, BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist and PRE-SAFE® PLUS.
DISTRONIC PLUS intelligent cruise control with COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS and Stop&Go Pilot, the PRE-SAFE® system and Blind Spot Assist are also available separately on request. The likewise optional Lane Tracking package combines Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist into an advantageous package.
More safety is also ensured by the optional LED Intelligent Light System with variable light distribution, dynamic headlamp range control, the active light function and other specific light functions. Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus is also available in combination with these.
Adaptable: versatile driving modes and multi-chamber air suspension
The dynamic handling control system DYNAMIC SELECT with five driving modes is standard equipment for the GLC: INDIVIDUAL, SPORT, SPORT+, COMFORT and ECO. On request the multi-talented GLC can be equipped with the Offroad Engineering package. In addition to dynamic, real-time COMAND depictions in the media display, this offers Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR), up to five off-road driving modes (Offroad, Incline, Slippery, Rocking, Trailer), underbody protection, a special off-road light function and a 20-millimetre higher suspension level. In conjunction with AIR BODY CONTROL the ground clearance is even increased by up to 50 millimetres. No other model in the mid-size SUV segment is available ex factory with such a full-support multi-chamber air suspension including electronically controlled, variable damping adjustment.
Exterior styling variety: tailor-made outfit
Customers have an extensive range of options when it comes to configuring their GLC. 12 diffferent paint finishes and 15 light-alloy wheels in various spoke and design configurations up to a size of 50.8 cm (20 inches) are available. The choice of paint finishes comprises the non-metallic black and polar white plus the metallic finishes obsidian black, cavansite blue, iridium silver, tenorite grey, diamond silver (available from 4th quarter 2015), citrine brown and selenite grey. The three designo paint finishes citrine brown magno, diamond white bright and hyacinth red metallic are also available on request.
There are optional exterior design and equipment lines which build on the entry-level model:
- EXCLUSIVE Line with 45.7 cm (18-inch) wheels, radiator grille with twin louvres and chrome inserts, bumpers with chromed underguards at front and rear, two chromed exhaust tailpipes, polished aluminium trim and roof rails in anodised aluminium
- OFF-ROAD Line with 45.7 cm (18-inch) wheels, radiator grille with twin louvres and chrome inserts, front bumper with larger angle of approach and chromed underguard at the rear, two chromed exhaust tailpipes, polished aluminium trim and roof rails in anodised aluminium
- AMG Line with AMG 48.3 cm (19-inch) wheels, sports suspension, radiator grille with twin louvres and chrome inserts, AMG bumpers with chromed underguards, two chromed exhaust tailpipes, polished aluminium trim and roof rails in anodised aluminium
The GLC can additionally be combined with various equipment packages to lend it a yet more exclusive and individual character:
- Night package (optional in conjunction with AMG Line or EXCLUSIVE line), including exterior mirror housings and front and rear underguards in high-gloss black, window frames painted in black, roof rails in matt black, 48.3 cm (19-inch)/optionally 50.8 cm (20-inch) wheels, heat-insulating dark-tinted glass from the B-pillar rearwards and chrome louvres in the radiator grille
- Off-Road Engineering package, with the mentioned technical contents such as the five off-road driving modes and the raised suspension (+ 20 mm, or up to + 50 mm in vehicles fitted with AIR BODY CONTROL).
Other optional extras include the large panoramic glass sliding roof with an electric roller sun blind and anti-pinch protection, aluminium-look running boards with rubber studs, the EASY-PACK tailgate with HANDS-FREE ACCESS, which can be automatically opened and closed using a swiping movement of the foot below the rear bumper, or the fully electric trailer coupling including ESP® trailer stabilisation.
Parking the GLC is made more convenient and safe by the optional Parking package: this combines Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC and a reversing camera, on request also with a 360-degree camera. The reversing camera and Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC can also be ordered individually.
Interior styling variety: made-to-measure interior
For the interior there is a choice of various combinations in fabric, ARTICO, DINAMICA, leather or nappa leather in black, silk beige, espresso brown, saddle brown and platinum white pearl (designo only).
Customers can combine these upholstery options with light longitudinal-grain aluminium trim, optionally in combination with AMG carbon-fibre trim or wood elements in brown or black open-pore ash, linestructure lime wood in high-gloss brown, burr walnut wood in high-gloss brown or a black piano-lacquer look. Variations are also available for the roof liner, which comes in black, crystal grey or porcelain.
As standard the GLC has an excellent infotainment system for the occupants, thanks to a high-resolution 17.8 cm (7-inch) colour media display and the Audio 20 USB sound system with Frontbass and an integrated Bluetooth® interface with an HD voice-capable hands-free function and audio streaming for playing music files. In the centre armrest there are two USB connectors for external audio devices and data media. In conjunction with a Bluetooth®-capable smartphone with a data option the system is already internet-capable. This enables the internet to be surfed without restrictions when the vehicle is stationary. The same applies to Audio 20 CD, which features an additional CD drive compared to Audio 20 USB. This is also able to play MP3, WMA, AAC and WAV files.
The optional Garmin® MAP PILOT expands Audio 20 CD into a fully-fledged navigation system integrated into the onboard electrical system. The navigation software and map data are supplied on an SD card.
Musical enjoyment at concert hall level is possible with the Burmester® surround sound system. This has a 9-channel DSP amplifier, 13 speakers and a system output of 590 watts.
When COMAND Online is installed, the media display increases in size to 21.3 cm (8.4 inches) and has a higher resolution of 960 x 540 pixels. It features a specially bonded glass cover familiar from consumer devices such as the iPhone® or iPad®. It also allows digital TV/radio reception, for example, and offers a host of other features including fast hard-disc navigation, automatic tailback avoidance via up-to-date and accurate "Live Traffic Information", an integrated WLAN hotspot functionality and the LINGUATRONIC voice-operated control system.
In conjunction with COMAND Online, Mercedes-Benz Apps such as Weather, GoogleTM Local Search with StreetView and Panoramio, destination/route download and Facebook can be used while on the move. Audio and video playback is possible from various sources. For example, via Bluetooth®, from an Apple iPod® or iPhone®, from an SD card, USB stick or CD/DVD (with Audio 20 CD or higher and with COMAND Online).
Mercedes connect me: your personal assistant
Following on from the models of the C-, E- and S-Class, Mercedes connect me is also available for the GLC. In addition to the standard functions such as eCall, accident recovery, breakdown assistance or after-sales service, the Remote Online app (standard with COMAND Online) offers numerous convenience features via smartphone, such as tracking to locate the parked vehicle, control of the auxiliary heating, locking and unlocking of the vehicle or the retrieval of various items of information, such as odometer reading, fuel level or range.
Touchpad: easy and intuitive operation by finger gestures
The innovative 65 x 45-millimetre touchpad developed by Mercedes-Benz in the handrest above the controller on the centre tunnel marks a further evolutionary step in operating convenience. It is automatically included if COMAND Online is specified, and optional in conjunction with Audio 20. As with a smartphone, the touchpad can be used by the driver and front passenger to operate all head unit functions very easily and intuitively using single or multi-finger gestures (Multitouch). Slow and fast gestures are possible. The touchpad also permits letters, numbers and special characters to be entered in handwriting - in any language supported by Audio 20 or COMAND Online. The user receives clear tactile feedback when operating the touchpad's control surface, which is highly conducive to really intuitive use.
Newly available, the head-up display (HUD) projects relevant information onto the windscreen directly in the driver's field of vision, ensuring good legibility and little distraction from the traffic situation. The HUD indicates the vehicle speed and - depending on the level of equipment – also shows speed limits, navigation instructions and information relating to assistance systems.
Upgrading: additional equipment lines extend the interior options
As is the case for the exterior, a choice of design and equipment lines is also available for the interior:
- EXCLUSIVE line, including upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/fabric, ARTICO-covered dashboard with contrasting topstitching, seats featuring an exclusive upholstery layout, Interior Light package, wood trim in high-gloss brown linestructure lime and the 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel
- AMG Line, including upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre, seats with an exclusive upholstery layout, Interior Light package, 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel with flattened bottom section, trim in light longitudinal-grain aluminium in the doors and black piano-lacquer look in the centre console, AMG sports pedals
Two different designo lines are additionally available:
- designo interior - two-tone: Seats in two-tone platinum white pearl/black designo nappa leather with contrasting topstitching, trim in black open-pore ash in the centre console and longitudinal-grain aluminium in the doors
- designo interior - black: Seats in black designo nappa leather, trim in high-gloss brown linestructure lime
Interesting and popular individual features for the interior include multi-colour ambient lighting, the AIR BALANCE package with ionisation and fragrancing, a heated multifunction steering wheel, the heated front seats with fully electric adjustment, heated rear seats and THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control. Heat and noise-insulating acoustic glass is available for the front doors. The stowage facility package keeps things neat and tidy with rolled-up fluorescent jackets in the front door panels, map pockets on the rears of the front seats, a net on the luggage compartment floor, folding box, cargo clamp, lockable luggage compartment floor, 12 V power socket and electric release of the rear seat backrests next to the rear bench seat.
On market launch: Mercedes-Benz GLC Edition 1
A particular favourite which has now become something of a tradition is the Edition 1 model. On market launch the special edition of the GLC will be available in a choice of two different interior variants - designo black or designo two-tone. The two-tone version has the AMG sports steering wheel, and both have ambience lighting, a black roof liner and the Seat Comfort package with heated front seats. Externally both GLC Edition 1 variants impress with the exclusive features of the AMG Line Exterior. This comprises 50.8 cm (20-inch) multi-spoke AMG wheels in titanium grey, sports suspension, twin-pipe exhaust system, dark-tinted heat-insulating glass from the B-pillar rearwards, polished aluminium trim and roof rails in anodised aluminium.
As is traditional, the special model is recognisable by the "Edition 1" lettering on the front wings and on the trim in the centre console. The GLC Edition 1 can be combined with all paint finishes and engine variants.The price for the Edition 1 equipment package is € 8211 incl. VAT.
Overview of key standard equipment in the GLC
The new GLC has a high level of standard equipment. this includes the following for all models:
- 9G-TRONIC including DIRECT SELECT level and DIRECT SELECT steering wheel shift paddles (7G-TRONIC PLUS for GLC 350 e 4MATIC)
- Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC variable speed limiter
- DYNAMIC SELECT with five driving modes
- AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system
- Direct-Steer system with speed-sensitive power assistance and variable steering ratio
- ECO start/stop function
- 43.2 cm (17-inch) 10-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in vanadium silver with 235/65 R17 tyres
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE with HOLD function, Hill-Start Assist, priming and dry braking in the wet
- ATTENTION ASSIST is able to recognise typical signs of drowsiness by monitoring steering behaviour, and can warn the driver of potential microsleep
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS including Adaptive Brake Assist and autonomous partial braking to prevent collisions or mitigate their severity
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) with Crosswind Assist and Dynamic Curve Assist
- Pedestrian protection with active bonnet
Standard equipment in the interior of the GLC:
- A total of seven airbags
- ISOFIX child seat attachment system with Top Tether in the rear
- Mercedes-Benz emergency call system
- Front seats partially electrically adjustable
- Rear seat-belt status display in the instrument cluster
- Folding rear seat backrests 40/20/40 division, min. luggage capacity 550 litres
- Front door sill panels with "Mercedes-Benz" lettering
- Trim in black piano lacquer look
- 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel in black leather,
- THERMATIC automatic air conditioning with 2 climate zones, separate temperature control for driver and front passenger, activated charcoal dust filter to reduce fine particles and odours, air recirculation switch with comfort function, sun and dewpoint sensor, rear ventilation nozzles
- Heat-insulating glass green-tinted all-round including rear window of single-pane safety glass
- Communication module for the use of Mercedes connect me services, preparation for the use of Mercedes connect me services
- Audio 20 multimedia system with high-resolution 7-inch colour media display, central control panel on the centre console, radio with twin tuner and traffic report decoder (TP/TA), 2 USB connectors in the centre armrest for external audio devices and data media (iPod®, iPhone®capable, access via onboard control concept), Bluetooth® interface with HD voice-capable hands-free function and audio streaming for playing music files, Cover Flow and Cover Art to show album covers, SMS display function, internet capability
- Loudspeakers with Frontbass
- Bluetooth® interface with hands-free function
Highlights of the optional extras for the GLC
In addition to the equipment packages, the GLC can be upgraded with numerous optional extras, for example:
- AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension with continuously variable damping
- Offroad Engineering package including Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR), with up to 5 off-road driving modes and underbody protection of GEMTEX, suspension raised by 20 mm compared to standard suspension
- Panoramic glass roof with electric roller sunblind and anti-pinch protection
- Roof rails of anodised aluminium, flush-mounted
- Trailer coupling with ESP® trailer stabilisation and fully electrically pivoting ball head
- Aluminium-look running boards with rubber studs
- Light-alloy wheels
- 45.7 cm (18-inch) with 235/60 R18 tyres
- 48.3 cm (19-inch) with 235/55 R19 tyres
- 50.8 cm (20-inch) with 255/45 R20 tyres
- Driving Assistance package Plus including DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop & Go Pilot, PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian recognition, BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist and PRE-SAFE® PLUS
- Parking package including Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC and reversing camera, optionally with 360º camera
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- LED Intelligent Light System with variable light distribution, active light function, country and motorway modes, cornering lights, extended fog light function, dynamic headlamp range control and blue welcome light
- Ambience lighting in the front under the trim and in the doors, rear footwell lights, three colours available, door sills with Mercedes-Benz lettering, illuminated in the front, cupholder lighting, exit and warning lights in the doors
- Seating Comfort package for driver and front passenger consisting of: electro-pneumatic 4-way lumbar support with control on the seat, electric seat cushion inclination adjustment, mechanical seat cushion fore/aft adjustment
- Climatised seats for the driver and front passenger, including heating and ventilation
- Multifunction steering wheel, heated
- THERMOTRONIC automatic air conditioning with 3 climate zones including residual engine heat utilisation, activated charcoal filter for reduction of fine particles and odours, separately adjustable temperature for driver, front passenger and rear occupants, individual climate modes FOCUS, MEDIUM, DIFFUSE, air quality sensor with automatic air recirculation, dewpoint sensor, control panel in rear with temperature control and booster fan for rear ventilation
- AIR-BALANCE package including ionisation, improved air filtering and fragrancing
- Head-up display
- Seat heating in the rear
Credits: Daimler AG
Copyright © 2015, Mercedes-Benz-Blog. All rights reserved.