A Shining Star Emerges at This Year's Oscars: The New 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 550
As Hollywood's elite gather to honor this year's most celebrated stars at the Kodak Theater on Sunday Feb. 26th for the 84th annual Academy Awards, Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) is stepping out in high style with its own impressive talent. The all-new 2013 SL 550 Roadster. This sixth generation SL, conceived with a legendary past in its rearview mirror, will be introduced by a campaign launch oriented around the theme "State of the Art" to debut during this year's Oscar broadcast with a 60 second spot, complimented by a live broadcast from Times Square and a digital extension on OTRC.com.
"The new SL is totally redesigned with innovation and styling that breaks new ground in the category," stated Steve Cannon, president and CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA. "The Oscars is a great moment to kick off this campaign, which artfully portrays the historical significance and beauty of the SL as the new model steps into the spotlight to create the next chapter in a storied legacy."
The spot entitled "Art" opens with the 1952 300 SL Carrera Panamericana racecar speeding by a cheering crowd, soon to be passed by the 1960 300 SL convertible whipping through a completely different background, only to be taken over by the next generation...The successions continue as the subsequent models speed through different eras and different worlds which blur one into the other, until suddenly, the all-new 2013 SL accelerates to take the lead and is introduced as "our most breathtaking model ever."
In addition to the Academy Awards premier, there will be a six-week television flight of "Art" to run through April and May to coincide with the vehicle retail launch. Broadcast placements include special events such as the PGA Masters, the NCAA Final Four tournament and network season finales. This all will be complemented by a one-page print execution to run in titles reaching affluent lifestyle segments such as GQ, Departures, Forbes, Fortune and Town & Country. On the digital side, pictures and video of the new SL will be shared on top leading social media sites (YouTube, Twitter) to efficiently boost awareness and engagement for enthusiasts, featuring the its history and latest technological advancements.
About the Mercedes-Benz 2013 SL-Class
The 2013 SL550 will be available in U.S. showrooms this spring. Vehicle Highlights include:
- Sophisticated all-aluminum bodyshell: For the first time, the SL is being produced almost entirely from aluminum and weighs as much as 308 pounds less than its predecessor.
- Even better driving dynamics due to new direct injection engine, which is more powerful and economical than the outgoing generation.
- Other new features include the unique FrontBass system, which turns the luxury sports car into a concert hall - with the top down or up - and the highly efficient MAGIC VISION CONTROL., a new, intelligent and wipe/wash system.
- A retractable hard top that can be operated using a space-saving electrohydraulic mechanism, converting the SL from coupe to roadster and back again in a matter of seconds. In contrast to its predecessor, the new SL offers two versions of the retractable hard top - glass or the unique panoramic roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL.
- A unique combination of driver assistance systems, including the drowsiness detection system ATTENTION ASSIST and the ADAPTIVE BRAKE, both of which are standard as well as the anticipatory occupant protection system PRE-SAFE, also standard.
Credits: Mercedes-Benz USA
Copyright © 2012, Mercedes-Benz-Blog. All rights reserved.